Haven't had much free time to post lately with all the different dramas at IIT. So, this is a post about the ancient port city of Marseille, which Jyotesh and I visited just two weeks into France. Thinking of Marseille, the first thing that comes to one's mind is boats. There were so many of them docked there that it was a treat for the eyes. I'd suggest anyone staying Lyon to put Marseille on the radar as it's pretty inexpensive to get there.

Being a trade-hub for centuries, the city has some flavor of Europe, Africa and Asia. True to the city's cosmopolitan spirit, we've heard our first stereotypical 'na-maas-te' from a random passerby here, for the first time after coming to France. Also, there was a movement going on in the central part of the city to gain international support for the state of Kurdistan. I wasn't sure where it is exactly, but the protest has had its impact as I can still recollect the slogan (even after an year):

'Solution, politique, pour le Kurdistan'
'Solution, politique, pour le Kurdistan'
'Solution, politique, pour le Kurdistan'
Also, there's a fortress located on a small island close by. There isn't much interesting about the fortress except for the fact that it's located on an island and you'd be ferried to the island across the sea. Not much of a distance, but you'd have the cold sea breeze hitting at you and trying to topple the hat you've received from the boat company. Also, there's some connection between Alexandre Dumas and the fortress Chateau d'If if you're a fan.
Although the trip had only lasted for a day (as we wanted to avoid staying overnight and paying for a hotel), it was eventful. The le velo trip alongside the ocean, ferry to chateau d'if and Frioul islands, scuba diving, hitchhiking to basillica de notre dame, the old port area, eating Bouillabase (not me), losing your way - being left with a dead phone - waiting for an hour at the entrance of Notre Dame - clicking pictures for random people - because Jyotesh would eventually visit the church (me). That's lots of adventure for a single day. We missed out on getting the view of sunset with the Calanques and the green Mediterranean in the background.
Tips for potential visitors:
1) You can get a 10 euro ticket from Lyon Perrache (or Paris Marna La Valle) to Marseille and vice-versa if you take Ouigo and plan ahead by a week or two
2) The velos of Marseille do not ask for any deposit or advance and you only need to pay the rent.
3) Do not forget to try Bouillabase if you don't have problems with fish
4) The calanques are the beautiful looking creeks along the sea and would form an astounding view along with the sunlight as evident from google images and you might want to take a look at them if you have time
5) If you want to adventure, do try to go the opposite direction at Frioul and trek your way up instead of taking the road. Of course, we did that.
6) Heard stories that it's a notorious place in the night, so try to be careful and take care of your pockets
7) Anchors Aweigh!
P.S.
I am Nitesh Bharadwaj Gundavarapu, an IIT Delhi undergrad and have recently been to INSA Lyon, France as an exchange student. This is my personal blog where I brag about my adventures whenever I find time. Despite my humble efforts at being honest, any exaggerations should be forgivable. Thanks!
I am Nitesh Bharadwaj Gundavarapu, an IIT Delhi undergrad and have recently been to INSA Lyon, France as an exchange student. This is my personal blog where I brag about my adventures whenever I find time. Despite my humble efforts at being honest, any exaggerations should be forgivable. Thanks!


No comments:
Post a Comment